Thursday, January 7, 2016

Reflection #13

Kamryn
Intro to Humanities
7 January 2016
Reflection #13

         My project is to learn how to braid hair, install, and style hair. This week I have been practicing styling hair. I learned two new ways to curl hair without using heat. Well, I already knew about bantu knots which is a style where the hair is wrapped around itself. It is complicated to explain, but Miley Cyrus is now popular for them, even though they have been popular in the African American community, they became more popular after she wore them (picture 1). The way she wore them are not how we use them in the African American community though. Bantu knots are used as a protective style since heat is not necessary (picture 2). The second style that I am just learning about is called flexi rods (picture 3). Flexi rods can be used on wet or dry hair and they are another protective way to style. My sister got flexi rods for Christmas and asked me to use them to curl her hair. So, I did. Her hair was dry and already straight so it came out more like the 4th picture. I was not able to get a picture because after she went to track practice the curls were gone and she was in desperate need of a straightening. So, I straightened her hair. The plus of wearing weave is that no matter how many times you straighten the weave, it is not your real hair and it will not destroy it. Furthermore, now that the 20% project is coming to an end, I need to start looking for actual hair to put in the doll's hair. I still need to learn how to sew in, but I have watched my sister's friend do it a while ago so I am not hesitant. Next week, I will finish up the physical project and begin the presentation aspects of the requirements.

No comments:

Post a Comment