Sunday, February 21, 2016

Reflection 1

Since I already have experience with knitting, I skipped the basics and started researching stitches and patterns for knitting a sweater. One new thing I came across was gauge. Your gauge is the number of stitches and rows per inch. It's really important because you want your sweater to fit the pattern or grid you are following. Basically, you'll have a grid give you some numbers that tell you how many stitches and rows the average knitter would knit in an inch with a specific needle size and you need to make sure that your gauge matches up with that. It's still a little confusing to me, but I found some sites that told me I need to make a swatch, wash it, and measure it to find my gauge. That's what I'm going to work on next week. I also found a really really helpful YouTube channel called knitpicks. The woman who runs it, Nina, has a whole playlist filled with lessons on knitting a sweater. This is probably going to be one of my most used resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment